Friday, January 20, 2023

A look at our week

 A look at our learning...


Fundations: we are halfway through our review of the correct formation of uppercase letters.  Check your child's Friday Folder to see what letters we practiced this week and extra sheets for them to practice at home.  Be sure to check out the video I posted in our Facebook group yesterday in regards to tapping out words. They are doing a nice job with this.

Shared Reading: we read the poem "Baa Baa Black Sheep" and read the Big Books He said no and What is at the Zoo? to help us practice our new spelling words and build on our bank of reading strategies to try when we come to an unknown word.

Next week's spelling words:

said

on

Writing Workshop: we are working hard on telling more details in our writing.  Check out some of the awesome stories from a few of our friends. 

I was at my house

I was reading my chapter book and I was sitting on the couch and I finished my chapters.

I opened up my Barbie camper. It was at

my house. I played with it and I played camp with it and I played with my sister.

I went to my grandma and

grandpa and my cousins came and we got candy. The End.

Math: we are continuing to learn about those tricky teen numbers.  This week we talked about how teen numbers are a group of 10 and some left over.  We discussed how the 1 stands for 1 group of 10 and the second number represents how many are leftover.  This was a tricky concept for some.  Want to see if your child understands this concept at home?  Write down a teen number and ask them to tell you what the 1 means and the other number means.  Do this for a few teen numbers.  Below is a video we watched to help learn this concept. 


We also worked on story problems.  I posed the following problem: I was having a party and put 4 chairs at my table.  The doorbell rang and there were 7 friends at the door.  Do I have enough chairs?"  They were given a piece of paper and had to first answer yes or no.  Most of them knew I did not have enough chairs.  Then they had to show how they knew by drawing a representation of what happened.  Check the paper in your child's take home folder today and see if they were able to accurately represent the problem and answer. A tricky part to this problem was realizing I needed 8 chairs and not just 7 because I would need one as well as the 7 guests.  

I encourage you to do story problems like this at home.  While you are cooking dinner would be a great time.  Have them sit at the table, verbally tell a story similar to the one above and have them show their work on paper.  I would keep the numbers within 10 at this point in the school year.  You can do it in addition or subtraction form. 

We had our first friend complete 100% of ST Math Challenges this school year!  Way to go Jacob!  He is now on challenge rounds!


Social Studies: we talked a bit more about Martin Luther King Jr since we were off school on Monday for his birthday. We continued our study about government and national symbols by discussing the Declaration of Independence.  They were excited to share how they celebrate Independence Day.  We talked about why rules and laws are important.  See the Studies Weekly magazine in their take home folder to see how we briefly touched on these areas. 

Friday Craft: we sure are hoping for some snow days (every Kindergartener needs to experience their first true school snow day!) and made snowmen today to decorate our room. We have read all the books in the Snowmen at Night series and today we read The Biggest, Best Snowman and How to Catch a Snowman.







Kindergarten Service Learning Project: a reminder that we are collecting pennies for the United Community Builders Daycare/Preschool for our Service Learning Project.  Thank you to everyone who has donated so far. We will continue collecting for a couple of months. 

Recess Fun






No comments:

Post a Comment